Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Heard It's Modern to Be Stupid, You Don't Need a Thought to Look Good


So, I am in a demonstration classroom for the next month, which means that I am out of my classroom and learning how to teach Readers-Writers Workshop better in the context of another classroom. I was so hesitant about it because I would be leaving my classroom and being a first year teacher is nutty enough without leaving for a month. However, the Demonstration classroom teacher is amazing. She is actively healing my and four other teachers' souls.
She talks about how many principals send there "Broken" teachers to her classroom and how most teachers aren't actually broken; they're just bruised-- usually as a consequence of lumbering oaf administrators who abuse teachers with their caustic criticisms. She calls all of us who have been through the residency "her teachers" and she has completely rejuvenated me.
I guess I share this simply because I'm slowly remembering that I actually am a good teacher. The relief at this revelation and the frustration that I will always battle administration in defense of my teaching are almost overwhelming.
Cari is right. All teachers are bruised.




Shoes, Hat, and bracelet: Forever 21
Dress: Simply Vera Wang for Kohl's
Tights: We Love Colours
Cardigan: Kohl's
Necklace: Madame Bijoux

No comments: