Saturday, May 30, 2009

The Day's Findings


As I mentioned in my previous post, I went trolling garage sales today and found a few things. The earrings are somewhat impractical because I am allergic to any substance in my ears except for gold. I am able to wear other earrings for a few hours at a time without them bothering my ears and so when I saw these really fun custume earrings, I was fully enveloped in a moment of weakness.

If you look closely at these earrings, you will see that the one on the right is missing some of the beading. When I noticed this, at first I was pissed. But then I had an idea. I actually like the assymetry and messiness of the nonmatching earrings. When I was in college, I read an article about women with flawed appearances and sexual appeal for men. The article cited things like women who deliberately put runs in their panty hose or smeared there make-up because they found that men liked it; or men who claimed that they found these flaws to be sexy because it made women appear to be in need of their help.
Now, barring the rampant masogyny of this message, I have been obsessed with the article and its ideas since I read it nearly six years ago. These earrings are my tribute to Vogue's "Flawed Woman."



This make-up carrier is so ancient looking and so cool. I can't decide whether to use it for traveling (which I probably don't do enough of to justify saving this piece only for travel) or to put in my ever-expanding jewelry collection. The problem there is that I would need to build some compartments into the case in order to make it functional. Any feedback?


No comments: